Wednesday, May 6, 2015

N162HG 1.8 Bob

Departed KPAO Left Dumbarton to VPSUN, then did a couple of off-airport emergencies and air work over the valley away from the KLVK airspace. Then Bob diverted me to KRHV while I was over the Del Valle dam. I flew to the San Antonio reservoir then on to the airport.

At KRHV, I did 3 approaches, one resulting in a go-around, attempting a short-field landing. Generally did not succeed in the short field part, mostly due to not having the approach set up properly (unfamiliar airport). But my patterns became better.

On one upwind, I was told they would call my crosswind, but they "forgot" about me. Bob told me to maneuver clear of the KSJC Class C anyway.

Departed KRHV via the KSJC Class C. Was told by KSJC to fly over the Rwy 30 numbers, then head for the KNUQ hangars. KPAO then told me to set up for a straight-in Rwy 31. I was off to the right of centerline but did not correct until reminded by Bob. Flew another attempt at a short field approach, with better results -- barely made it within 200' beyond my intended touchdown point.

* Remember to do clearing turns without having to be reminded.

* Remember to listen for what the controller wants, and as PIC, compare with what I want. Remain clear of airspace, do not assume controller has it all under control. Think of my own flight path to the airport; don't just assume that controller's vectors are all-encompassing.

* Need to get into stable approaches with proper speed control. This has been difficult at unfamiliar airports, but I need to do better at this.

* Once I have decided on a course, fly the course and trust my own navigation. I was constantly flying "wrong" courses when diverting to KRHV. My map navigation is good; use it. Also, make course maintenance a second-nature habit.

* Steep turns were good.

* Off-airport emergencies were okay. Need to do the full procedure checklist, rather than freeze up. Remember, at best glide, ~ 500 ft/min descent rate, there's plenty of time to follow a checklist!

* A big off-airport emergency is poor judgement or calculation of altitude AGL. Use the altitude of the nearest airport as a guide for ground altitude.

* Slow flight was okay.

* Stalls were okay.

I have a solo planned. Things to work on:

* Some more pattern work.

* Remembering clearing turns.

* Slow flight and stalls. Positively hold the PTS standards. Watch for P factor when recovering from slow flight, especially at high pitch of no-flaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment