Sunday, September 5, 2021

N291DR 2.2 Flight with Angelo

I took my co-worker Angelo for a flight -- his first ever in a small airplane. Logged 3 landings total.

Our original plan was to go land at the Monterey Bay Academy (CA66). On the way, I did one landing at Frasier Lake (1C9) for the heck of it, coming up a tiny bit short on my power-off 180 due to inadequate wind correction but otherwise doing okay. We set off towards the coast, and found that the coastline was getting fogged over. I suggested we land at Watsonville (KWVI) instead, but while inbound on the 45 realized that the fog was likely to roll over us while we were in the airport and might trap us. I continued my pattern but announced I was not landing and leaving on a downwind departure instead, and off we went. Instead, we went to Hollister (KCVH) and landed, with an amazingly short landing due to the prevailing wind down Rwy 24. We strolled around and got a really amazing introduction to Cal Fire aircraft and fire-fighting tactics from a friendly local Cal Fire pilot, and chatted with someone who had a polished Luscombe based in Frasier Lake. We took off and came back for a relatively uneventful landing at KRHV. I touched down a bit fast and landed a tiny bit long but was able to get off at Taxiway B.

No comments:

Post a Comment