Sunday, August 15, 2021

N291DR 0.5 Flight with Taygan in the smoke

Tried to go to CA66 (Monterey Bay Academy) with my friend Taygan. We had what was reported as 10 statute miles visibility with lots of smoke. I took off and climbed on a Southbound downwind, and then realized I was drifting off to the right towards KSJC airspace. I turned away and flew some more, and found myself again drifting off to the right. Basically I was used to flying by a "sight picture" and the lack of visibility on the horizon was throwing me off. We made it to 5,500' MSL and the sky started getting more blue; if we had pushed to 7,500' MSL we would probably have been clear of the smoke, but with very poor ground visibility. I didn't want to fly low over the urban areas, which is why I punched it and climbed on my way outbound. All things considered, lesson learned in flying through hazy visibility, but I figured we'd had enough excitement for one day and we turned around and came home.

No comments:

Post a Comment