Sunday, March 17, 2019

N291DR 2.1 Solo

Completed my solo requirement for N291DR.

Flew KRHV C83 to deliver my friend's parachute to him.

Was hoping to do some pattern work at C83 but the pattern was full of traffic including people coming in at weird points (someone lower than everyone else in the pattern, puttering along happily, while people sort of negotiate what to do). Thus scared, I departed downwind.

I flew 5,500' towards New Jerusalem (1Q4) then did a simulated engine-out. I was coming from the North for runway 30, so I figured I would rather slip and fly directly to my "low key" point rather than try to circle around and fly a "high key" then do a full 360 to low key -> base key -> landing. This went well -- I did a passable 3-point landing.

I then tried another pattern with short approach and ended up too close to the runway and I could not make it, so I went around.

My 3rd pattern, I spaced myself out better and did another passable 3-pointer.

I need to gain more confidence at doing more maneuvers (e.g. forward slip to landing in a short approach; short field landing at full flaps with steep approach) when things are a bit bumpy, but as matters stand, I am very cautious and will take it really slowly.

I then flew back to KRHV at 5200 rpm and 100 knots over the ground, hoping to make it in time to give my son his first flight with me! But then at KRHV, the radio started acting up (we suspect there's a short in the PTT circuit) so I had to put the plane away for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment