Friday, December 18, 2020

N291DR 2.8 Fun and practice flight to C83

Off to Byron (C83) to do some takeoffs and landings. 6 full stop (i.e., tailwheel currency countable) landings total today. All were no-flap "conventional" takeoffs and no-flap wheel landings.

Departed KRHV on a very clear day with quite a bit of turbulence near Calaveras. Flew at 5,500' then did a left 270 into C83 rwy 30. There was a moderate crosswind. I did a rather embarrassing attempt at a wheel landing, then stopped, tied down, ate some lunch, and took a leak in the dirt somewhere (because the bathroom was closed due to COVID).

I took off again and did a boatload of patterns, all of them wheel landings with crosswind correction. First I was flaring too high (but this is a wheel landing, why are you even flaring?). Then I was doing too much crosswind correction and sliding off to the upwind side of the runway (who knew?). Then I finally got it when I reminded myself to "dance" on the rudder pedals, and was able to roll down the runway on one wheel like I should. I still have to get more confident with planting the nose forward; I'm sort of worried about stuffing the propeller into the asphalt. But oh well.

I shut down and took another leak and a swig of water, then took off and returned to KRHV. The landing there was pretty easy since there was almost no crosswind. I did a wheel landing again. Woo hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment