Saturday, April 13, 2019

N291DR 1.5 Practice flight to E16 and Airball flight

Now with an actual antenna installed, I took off to do a data gathering flight with Airball. Things went fairly well, except that I think my altitude math was way off. Oh well.

More interestingly for this blog, though, I did lots of takeoffs and landings at E16 with a decently strong (but steady) left crosswind.

At first, there was a yellow gyrocopter in the pattern:
Gyro: Black and yellow copter entering right crosswind behind Cessna...
Me: Hey, I ain't no Cessna!
Gyro: Sorry.
Me: Ha ha!
Later:
Me: Experimental 291DR abeam the numbers for short approach Runway 30.
Gyro: Hey I'll show you a short approach!!!
Me: Ha ha!
I did a bunch of crosswind wheel landings and seemed to get mostly okay at "unicycling" the plane on the upwind wheel. I still need some more practice but I'm definitely better than I was. It was very confidence inspiring to do this again and again and become more comfortable.

On my landing at KRHV, which was a pretty straightforward straight-in, I used full flaps and came in at 50 kias for a very short rollout. I need to become comfortable with that kind of approach so I can master true short-field landings.


No comments:

Post a Comment