Sunday, April 21, 2019

N291DR 1.4 practice flight to 1Q4 and back

Today it was a hot day over the Central Valley, and I knew it would be bumpy. I wanted to go to 1Q4 (New Jerusalem) to try to do some landings, so I would be ready if I ever had to do an emergency landing in some arbitrary conditions.

On the way there, I did a practice emergency glide at our best glide speed of 52 kias. The wind was blowing across -- GPS speed and IAS agreed pretty well -- so I got a pretty good idea of my glide ratio. With the engine idling, solo, I had about 2.5 "fingers" of glide, when I held my hand up to the horizon. 2 "fingers" was a stretch; 3 "fingers" was easy.

Landing at 1Q4 honestly did not seem safe. It was really bumpy in roll and yaw, which was much more scary than just normal lift and sink.

I flew back to a gusty but safe crosswind 3-point landing at KRHV.

No comments:

Post a Comment