Tuesday, February 12, 2019

N291DR 1.9 Mary

Type conversion and tailwheel training with CFI "Mary". Did 3 landings. KRHV KWVI, break at KWVI, then KWVI KRHV.

We took off from KRHV with CFI doing most of the takeoff, then flew to KWVI. I did a bunch of "floaties" to maintain direction and centerline, then we attempted a 3 point landing. I am used to the SportStar (low wing) so, in the S-6S, with a huge window right there below me and the ground seemingly close enough to touch, I flared too high. We whumped down, but it was on 3 wheels. Next landing was pretty decent.

I learned to take off, and started getting the hang of directional control on the ground while rolling. In general it's not as difficult as I feared, but it's not trivial and requires practice and effort. When I dab the rudders in my "rudder walk", I am keeping them deflected too long, which causes over-control.

On our last landing at KRHV, we accepted a short approach request from the tower for spacing. CFI offered to use flaps but I declined; I didn't want to mess up my mental model just yet. I slipped in but still had lots of energy. I did a wheel landing, which went mostly okay, but I let the tail down a bit too soon and got tailwheel shimmy. We rolled out all the way to the end of the runway and puttered off. Will do better next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment