Saturday, February 23, 2019

N291DR 1.5 Noel

Practice in N291DR with an experienced CFI "Noel" who instructs in Citabrias a lot. We did about 7 landings at KRHV, staying in the pattern all along. All were no-flaps.

CFI instructed me to fly approaches at 60-65; it turns out that is waaay too fast for the little puttery plane! I floated and floated! When we slowed down to 55 or so, we were able to get good 3-point landings. However, the following remain as issues I need to work on:

1. When taking off, I sometimes put the nose down a little too much. Take it easy.

2. When slipping to a landing, remember: You use rudder to choose the amount of drag you want to add, and aileron to steer the airplane in the direction you want to go.

3. The RANS S-6S 3-point position does not look "extremely" nose-high, so remember that position and duplicate it. I had one landing where I slammed down on the tailwheel and the CFI had to rescue it for me.

4. Careful of floating back up again while in the flare. Gentle on the stick. Take it easy.

5. Do not over-control with the rudders when flaring. Take it easy.

6. You don't need to "rudder walk" so hard when taxiing. It's okay. Take it easy.

Overall I would say I'm making better progress than I feared in transitioning to tailwheel, but the "take it easy" advice comes up again and again -- I'm doing way too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment