Friday, April 25, 2014

N162HG 1.3 Dave

(This flight was actually yesterday.)

Because my medical might end up being a pain in the neck, I've decided to go for a Sport Pilot license in the interim. I chose Advantage Aviation at KPAO, and I'll be flying their C162 Skycatcher. I booked a flight with an experienced C162 CFI to try it out.

Generally a lovely little 'plane. Nice and new inside compared to the old C152 I was flying earlier. Ergonomics are pretty good and visibility is stupendous.

Ground handling was difficult since I'm not used to the differential braking / free castering nosewheel, but I got better at it as time went on. The key is to stay on the throttle.

The rudder has a very strong return spring. That's a bit counter-intuitive and is really my only complaint with the aircraft.

It's hard to get used to the digital instruments -- I need to get accustomed to seeing numbers and imagining overall ranges.

We went out over SLAC and did some air work, then returned for 5 landings. I tried some Dutch roll coordination exercises till I got sick to my stomach! :)

The plane is hard to trim in pitch -- partly due to the rather touchy electric trim.

In general, I think I did okay with the landings. Still tending to raise my nose when I'm not paying attention, and it's hard to maintain speed control on final with that trim and those digital numbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment