Sunday, December 8, 2019

N291DR 1.1 Mary Short landing practice

Short landing practice with CFI "Mary", all in closed traffic at KRHV.

Learned to come in at ~ 40 knots, using power to control glide path, round out just after the fence at Rwys 31 at KRHV, and be able to stop well before taxiway Bravo. Many touch and goes, 2 full stop landings. In all of them I could have stopped at Bravo; one was a bit long but that was because I came across the fence at 45 kias instead of 40 kias.

On one circuit, I slowed down to 40 kias while still on downwind, and CFI noticed I was in a skid. Very bad combination! Next time, I will remember to maintain my normal approach speed of at least 50 kias until I am established on some sort of final approach, then back off the speed.

On one landing I was coming in with lots of energy so I basically held it at 40 kias, cut power. and "parachuted" down on a very steep glidepath, and flared successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment