Monday, May 27, 2019

N291DR 1.3 short flight with Lisa

Went for a flight with my friend Lisa. We went to E16 and did 2 landings, then back to KRHV and landed. She gave me some good tips.

On my first landing at E16, I was wiggling too hard on the rudders. This is because I am trying to "loosen" myself so I am mentally prepared to make whatever corrections I need to stay on centerline and pointed forwards, but I was over-doing it. I ballooned a little, and Lisa said it was due to my own stick input not due to a gust.

On my second landing I did better with the rudder.

Lisa then showed me a real short approach with an aggressive slip. I was scared that we would stall/spin but she explained how this was not a problem -- keep the nose down and slip (outside rudder) rather than skid (inside rudder). She also pointed out that my "short approach" was not a short approach at all, given that I was puttering around at glide speed making a huge arc over and back again.

On our landing at KRHV, I got a straight-in approach, and I did a reasonably executed "chop and drop". I also did a decent flare. However I flared a bit high, which led to a bit of a wallop when we came down.

Today was rather bumpy under a lot of cumulus clouds, so this was a chance to fly with an experienced pilot and get over some of my anxieties about turbulence and bumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment