Friday, March 27, 2015

N162HG (0.2) Solo

The KSJC TAF was again predicting gusty high winds. KPAO was reporting 20 knots, more or less straight down Rwy 31. I waited for the next METAR, which said 15 knots, so I was good to go.

I taxied out, switched to Tower frequency, and was cleared to hold short. Then Tower called out the wind, 12G19. I said I could not take off and requested taxi back. They asked if I was able to do a left 180; I said yes; and back I went.

But it was a fun afternoon at the airport, hanging out around airplanes, doing airplane things. :)


  1. My 2 cents: I'd have waited a few minutes to see if the wind had changed, specially if it's gusty - it often changes quickly. I've once had AFIS at SBPR report a 19kt crosswind while doing pattern work, I went around without attempting to land (I was in a taildragger, 19kt was too risky), came back through the pattern, and it was then down to 10kt.

  2. Thanks, good point. I tend to err on the side of caution at this stage in my flying life. :)

    1. Waiting on the ground is a perfectly safe maneuver :) worst case you'd have taxied back just like you did.